On 8 November 1922 a few students and assistants met in Room 14 of the Technical University of Braunschweig . Inspired by the success of the Hanoverian Akaflieg that the old gliding duration record of 21 minutes was improved during one week on one, then two, and shortly thereafter to to 3 hours and 6 minutes, they founded the "Flugwissenschaftliche
Vereinigung an der Technischen Hochschule zu Braunschweig" That same year it was started with the construction of sailing biplane.SB1 (Segelflugzeug Braunschweig 1)
In March 1923, the SB1, named "Storch", made first starts from Braunschweig Nußberg. In the fall of 1923 the Röhnwettbewerb took place,, a suitable exercise area was sought and chose the Langenberg from near Bad Harzburg. In the first flights in May, the SB1 crashed . On the Röhnwettbewerb were still plans to participate and so the group decided to build the SB 2 "Heinrich der Löwe". This monoplane with wing twist was the result of the first thesis from the department Segelflugtechnik an der Technischen Hochschul From the wreckage of the SB1 was the SB3 "Brockenhexe" built and so it was possible to take part with two aircraft in t. This year, the group could also get their first home. The Technical College presented the not quite finished construction of the Flight Technical Institute at Bienroder..
The ratio of expenses to success on a glider and distance to suitable slope airfields were the beginning of 1924, the first powered flight plans on the rise. first
Engine plane was an old Rumpler Taube be repaired. For this purpose, an engine was donated by the city of Goslar. Then they built from donated 70 hp
Argus engine and a low-wing line of type Heinkel He 18 MB 4 (engine aircraft Braunschweig) which was given the name "Brunswick" in July 1924. In the same year
founded Motorflug Drifting associations of technical universities IDAFLIEG (Association of German Academic flying groups).
Due to the success of powered flight, the group was large audiences, so that you have looked around the spring of 1925 after another engine aircraft. By the summer was created under the
Management of the new workshop manager Karl Kadziora from the rupture of a mark-high Deckers MB 5 "Wolfenbüttel". Since the group will receive recognition as a commercial company
had, advertising and photo flights were carried out for remuneration. Gliding was also still in operation in the group During an air bearing on a gust of wind tore Langenberg
the team start the SB3 out of his hands, then the leaderless crashed in the valley.
A successful year was 1926. The group received recognition as a club pilot school. Now the Sportflieger bill could be purchased within the group. a new
Engine aircraft, a high-wing DP9, was purchased and a new glider, the SB 6 "Till Eulenspiegel". built. With this successful aircraft were on the Röhnwettbewerb
1926 won several awards. That got the same name SB 6 in 1926 and in 1961 two planes, for the following reason: The planes that before the Second World War
were built in the group are numbered consecutively, whether sailing or motor airplane. After the war, were to type count but only the gliders of his own design
taken into account, these were four. For this reason, the first post-war aircraft in the group named SB. 5
By flight days and promotional labels they tried to keep the cost of powered flight low Gliding played at that time only a subordinate role The IDAFLIEG
wrote in 1928 a competition for a light aircraft. The construction of FY 12 was filed and won the second prize. The group decided to build the aircraft.
In the fall of another Udet Flamingo BFW U 12a could be purchased, which was designed primarily for cross-country flights.
Three aircraft lost to 1929. The MB4 was breaking, the MB 5 due to engine failure and the DP-9 unusable from old age. During the year, however, managed the loss
the aircraft to replace by purchasing two second-hand machines (a biplane Raka IIa "Pelican" and a class 1c "Swallow"). Towards the end of the year had the rooms at the
Bienroder way to be vacated and the group moved into a shed with workshop and offices at the airport. In 1930, the MB was in the new workshop 12
"Brunswick" completed in order to emphasize the unity with the other academic flying groups, the group changed its name to "Academic Flying Group
Braunschweig eV ", short Akaflieg. A serious setback suffered one this year, as the member Gunther Lenz on an air show in Goslar with terminal 1c" crashes Swallow "and its
1931 was a quiet year for the comparable group. The Pelican and Flamingo had two good as new Siemens Sh II engines and FY 12 has been revised. it could
throughout the year, a regulated operations are performed. The former Akaflieg themselves into a "Altfliegerverband" together and allowed the aircraft of the group
to share. Despite strong support and efforts of the university ends in 1933, the free activity and self-determination of Akaflieg with the Nazi seizure of power
Fliegerische operation could only be exercised within the framework of the National Socialist German Air Sports Association.
The ratio between Technical University and Akaflieg will be explained at this point with a few words. There has always been a Professor in the Management Board of the group and thus made for
close ties to the university. Professor Eisenmann was until 1931 Board Member. Professor Schmitz, former rector, succeeded him. He was not only
Link between the university and group, but also himself took an active part in group life. Professor Schmitz was also due to that Professor Koppe 1930 following
Brunswick came and founded the Institute for Luftfahrtmeßtechnik and Aviation Meteorology. Between that institution and the Akaflieg was a very strong bond. They held regular
Meßflüge for the Institute made by and there were some dissertations and other academic work on this chair
In the autumn of 1937, 13 students from the Technical University founded a flight technical group that was the German Research Institute for Aviation, Berlin Adlershof connected, and as
Follow-up group of Aktivitas the former Akaflieg can be considered. The former Akaflieg had become a "old boys' stem Akaflieg Brunswick"
together and maintained close contacts with the group. The close ties to the university and its faculties, however, was lost. The group got their funds from the
Research Institute and had it run orders for them. However, the tradition of the old FWG could be preserved in this group until the war ended.
After the war everything was destroyed, the students of the Akaflieg successful with the help of industry, and the Technical University of Braunschweig population in 23 years
Had set up working for flying the practical and theoretical flight activity was banned in Germany, however, so that no hope for a new beginning was.