Messerschmitt M 24
Type
a 2 + 8 seat airliner or transportplane ( 1000 kg)
b 2 + 8 seat airliner
Engine
1 Junkers L5G
1 BMW Hornet
Dimensions
Length 12.80 m, height 4.20, span 20.60 m, wingarea 43.0 m2
Weights
 
Empty 1480 kg, flying weight 3000 kg
Performance
 
Max. speed 220 km/h, cruising speed 195 km/h, climb to 1000 m 4 min.,
service ceiling 5500 m, range 800 km
Type
Werk.Nr
Registration
History
a
445
D-1767
First flight 8/7 1929. Made by BFW. In Febr. 1930 to Nordbayerische Verkehrsflug, Fürth. To Deutsche
Verkehrsflug, Nürnberg in Nov. 1931. Crashed 1934
a
446
D-1853
First with BMW Va engine later Junkers L5G. In May 1930 to DVL e.V., Adlershof
b
515
 
Tested with floats at Travemünde in 1932
b
516
D-UHAM
Not sold until 1934, then to RLM
The Messerschmitt M 24, otherwise known as the BFW M.24 was an airliner developed in Germany in the late 1920s as a further development in the series of designs produced by Messerschmitt based on the M 18. Like the M 18 and its follow-on, the M 20, it was a high-wing cantilever monoplane with a fully enclosed cabin and fixed tailwheel undercarriage. It was slightly smaller than the M 20, seating only eight passengers instead of the ten that could be carried by the previous aircraft.
Two prototypes were initially built with BMW and Junkers inline engines, followed by two more with BMW-built Pratt & Whitney radials. However, Messerschmitt proved unable to sell the design, possibly due at least in part to the enmity of Deutsche Luft Hansa director Erhard Milch towards Messerschmitt.
M 24 at Dresden