Type
1 + 2 seat experimental passenger plane
Engine
1 Benz IIIa 4-bladed propeller
Dimensions
Length 8,00 m, height 2,75 m, span 11,00 m, wing area 17,00 m2
Weights
Empty 430 kg, flying weight 712 kg
Performance
Max. speed 145 km/h, cruising speed 125 km/hrange 700 km
Type
Werk.Nr
Registration
History
 
525
 
On September, 4th 1920 the prototype (c/n 525) was ready for its first flight. Due to Allied investigations at
Junkers Flugzeugwerke, the aircraft was moved to the Netherlands and it seems, as if the first flight was not
performed before January, 25th 1921 by Zimmermann.
Junkers J15
With the exception of the J 4 biplane, all Junkers aircraft were monoplanes and all those built before 1920 were low-wing aircraft. Junkers had been successful with their four passenger J 13[1] and believed there was a market for a smaller aircraft carrying just two passengers and using a smaller engine than the J 13. The J 15 was built to optimise the low power, small aircraft configuration and in particular to provide data on whether it should have a high or low wing.[2]
The Junkers J 15 was a single-engined cantilever winged monoplane with an all-metal structure of Duralumin tubing skinned with corrugated Duralumin, a method used in all previous Junkers aircraft from the J 9 onwards. It was first flown with a low-set wing with the high thickness-chord ratio typical of Junkers. The wing was only slightly tapered and blunt tipped, with short, wide chord ailerons at the wing tips which curved out behind the trailing edge proper. When reconfigured as a high wing machine, the wing was attached just above the fuselage by short struts.
The fuselage was deep, giving the J 15 a tubby look, with the two passengers in a windowed internal cabin above the wing. The pilot sat well behind them and clear of the trailing edge of the wing, in an open cockpit. The tailplane was mounted on the top of the fuselage and a small triangular fin carried a rudder that extended down to the bottom of the fuselage, moving in a cut-out between the elevators. The J 15 was powered by a 158 hp (118 kW) upright inline Mercedes D.IIIa engine driving a four-blade propeller. The fixed main undercarriage had a pair of main wheels each mounted on V-legs splayed out from the fuselage bottom and interconnected by linked axles braced by a pair of centre line struts.
The sole J 15 was complete by the autumn of 1920, but was moved to the Netherlands for its first flight in early 1921 to avoid the restrictions on German aircraft production imposed by the Allies after their victory in World War I. After flying as a low-wing monoplane the wing was moved to the high position and the low fuselage wing roots skinned over with corrugated Duralumin, leaving the profile visible. The high wing configuration was judged superior and adopted for the larger and heavier J 16 production two passenger machine. The J 16 was also influenced by the J 15 trials in having a cockpit immediately ahead of the wings, as the take off view from the mid fuselage cockpit of the latter was poor with high set wings, and by the addition of aerodynamic balances to elevators and rudder.
Specifications:
Usage: Experimental aircraft
Year of construction: 1920
Crew: 1
Passengers: 2
Engine: Daimler D IIIa
Power (kW): 118 kW
Power (HP): 160 hp
Wingspan: 11.00 m
Length: 8.00 m
Height: 2.75 m
Wing area: 15,20 m²
Maximum speed: 145 km / h
Take off weight: 712 kg
In 1917, a high-wing monoplane was designed (J 6), but the Versuchsbau been canceled. Three years later, the Junkers aircraft attacked the deviates from the low-wing design variant again, and there was a cantilever monoplane with the type designation J 15 (sometimes referred to as K 15).

In Dessau new developments selling strategic priori intentions were mostly recognizable, focused on already recognizable or excitable use needs of specific target groups. The J 15 was the trial version of a small travel aircraft for two persons in a closed cabin, behind the pilot's seat open. The sales-oriented basic idea of ​​Professor Junkers, after which the air with his independence by road and rail routes is the shortest and cheapest time connection between two places left, they appear airplane version of particular interest to companies with many business trips.

A lot of design studies by Dr. Mader were developed, when the F13 design work was finished. In August 1919 a single-seated sport aircraft was purposed, as well as three-seated passenger aircraft. Both designs showed the highlever monoplane design, which was first used for the Junkers Parasol during WW I. While the sport aircraft design got low priority, the three-seated cabin aircraft was further investigated. At first Junkers and Mader decided to design this small passenger aircraft as a cantilever version, but Philipp von Doepp proved the better aerodynamics of a highlever monoplane in windchannel tests, so the design was changed.
To get more experience with the highlever monoplane design, an experimental aircraft was built under the designator J15. The J15 proved von Doepp's idea of a highlever monoplane design and the final decision was made to built the three-seated passenger airliner in that way under the designator K16.
The cabin interior made for convenience, the high-lying wing allowed a clear view to either side. The entrained fuel supply was sufficient for four to five hours. This corresponded to undertake short and medium distances. It was used a Daimler engine, tentatively also a French motor booty from the war years. The experiments revealed that the pilot's seat was inconveniently located, as he sat in the midst of the turbulence of the engine exhaust, and before him wings disabled his vision. This led to changes. on the successor model K 16