Type
Ju 46fi Two seat mail carrier, seaplane
Ju 46hi Two seat mail carrier, seaplane
Engine
1 Pratt & Whitney Hornet T2D1
1 BMW 132E
Dimensions
Length 11,06 m, height 3.90 m, wingspan 17.8 m, wing area 44,0 m2
Weights
Empty 1,980 kg, max. takeoff weight: 3,200 kg, wing loading 72,8 kg/m2, powerloading 4,92 kg/hp
Performance
Max. speed 230 km/h, cruising speed: 200 km/h, range: 1700 km, service ceiling: 4240 m, climb to 1000 m 3,4 min., landing speed 115 km/h
Type
Werk.Nr
Registration
History
46fi
2715
D-2244 "Europa", D-
UKOV "Mars"
First registered to Lufthansa in March 1932. Used on the steamliner Europa from 9th of May 1932 to 1st of
October 1933. During the 1932 season flown by pilot Joachim Blankenburg and radio operator Karl Kirchhoff and
during 1933 by pilot Horst Schwilden and radio operator Kurt von Haagen. In the end of 1933 rebuilt to land
version with wheels and from  20th of March 1934 registered as D-UKOV "Mars" for service with Lufthansa
46fi
2720
D-2271 "Bremen" later
"Hamburg", PP-CAU
"Tocantins"
Registered to Lufthansa in July 1932 as a landplane- In May 1933 rebuilt as a seaplane with registration D-2271
"Bremen". Stationed on the steamliner Bremen from 6th if June 1933 to 10th of October 1933. Crew: Pilot
Bernhard Grütering and radio operator Erich Zimmermann.Late 1933 named "Hamburg". Early 1934 rebuilt to
landplane with wheels , Sold to Syndicato Condor Ltda, Brazil, registration PP-CAU "Tocantins". Crashed on 5th
of February 1936 near Aquidauana, São Paulo
46hi
2773
D-3411 , D-UBUS
"Europa"
Registered to Lufthansa in March 1934 as D-3411 "Jupiter" , re-registered on the 20th as D-UBUS "Europa" and
stationed on the steamliner Europa. Crew: Pilot Walter Diele and radio operator Kurt von Hagen In 1935 pilot
Diele and radio operator Helmuth Rösel. After the season as catapult plane it was used as a mail carrier . In 1939
sold to Hansa Flugdienst. In September 1939 taken over by the Luftwaffe.
46hi
2745
D-2491"Sirius", D-UHYL
"Bremen", D-OBRA
Registered to Lufthansa in June 1933 as a landplane, rebuilt to seaplane early 1933. From 20th March  1934
registered as D-UHYL "Bremen". Stationed on the Bremen between 7th May 1934  to 9th October 1935. Crew :
Pilot Graf Schack zu Wittenau and radio operator Paul Dierberg. Used by the Lufthansa as a mail carrier between
the Baltic states an serving the resorts on the Baltic shores from 1937 to 1939. Sold to Hansa Flugdienst. In
September 1939 taken over by the Luftwaffe
46hi
2744
D-2419, D-UGUS, D-
OLMI,  PP-CBK
Built as a back-up for the other catapultplanes. Only as a landplane. Registered to Lufthansa in May 1933 as D-
2419 "Mars" and used as a mail carrier. Registration changed 20th March 1934  to D-UGUS "Jupiter", changed
again in 1938 to D-OLMP and still used asa a mail carrier by the Lufthansa. Sold to Syndicato Condor Ltda,
Brazil, registration PP-CBK "Tingua". Lost in a crash at Rio das Contas 10th of June 1945
Junkers Ju 46
Le D-OBRA entrera de
même à la Luftwaffe
The Ju 46 was a strengthened version of the Junkers W 34, modified for catapult launches. It was externally essentially identical to the W 33 apart from a revised vertical tail. Compared to the W 34, this carried a broader-chord rudder with a more rounded trailing edge and a noticeably squared-off top. This revision improved control of the aircraft during the low-speed launch. The ship to shore aircraft were all seaplanes , though some Ju 46 were used with a fixed wheeled undercarriage and tail-skid at times in their careers.
The aircraft was used in the postal link service across the Atlantic Ocean and were based on board the NDL-liners SS Bremen and Europa. Each aircraft was associated with its ship and bore its name. The first Bremen and Europa were both Ju 46fi seaplane variants and went into use in 1932. Three more, Ju 46hi variants, joined them in mid-1933.
Both ships had been fitted with compressed air-driven catapults for this purpose. These catapults accelerated the 3,200 kg  aircraft to a speed of 110 km/h  at a distance of just 20 m . The launch of these aircraft, painted bright red for easy spotting by rescue planes in case of emergency landings at sea, was always a special experience for the passengers. The launch at a distance of about 1,200 km  from the destination allowed to land the mail some 24 hours ahead of the mother ship's docking. On Westbound crossings, they flew to New York; Eastbound to Southampton, where they refuelled and went on to Bremen. These activities were limited by weather to the Summer months, beginning in April 1932.