The MB.200 was a French bomber aircraft of the 1930s designed and built by Societé des Avions Marcel Bloch. A twin-engined high-winged monoplane with a fixed undercarriage, over 200 MB.200s were built for the French Air Force, and the type was also licence built by Czechoslovakia, but it soon became obsolete, and was largely phased out by the start of the Second World War.
The Bloch MB.200 was designed in response to a 1932 requirement for a new day/night bomber to equip the French Air Force. It was a high-winged all-metal cantilever monoplane, with a slab-sided fuselage, powered by two Gnome & Rhône 14Kirs radial engines. It had a fixed tailwheel undercarriage and featured an enclosed cockpit for the pilots. Defensive machine guns were in nose and dorsal gun turrets and an under fuselage gondola.
The first of three prototypes flew on 26 June 1933. As one of the winning designs for the competition, (the other was the larger Farman F.221, an initial order for 30 MB.200s was placed on 1 January 1934, entering service late in that year. Further orders followed, and the MB.200 equipped 12 French squadrons by the end of 1935. Production in France totalled over 208 aircraft (4 by Bloch, 19 by Breguet, 19 by Loire, 45 by Hanriot, 10 by SNCASO and 111 by Potez..
Czechoslovakia chose the MB.200 as part of a modernisation program for its air force of the mid-1930s. Although at the rate of aircraft development at that time, the MB.200 would quickly become obsolete, the Czechoslovakians needed a quick solution involving the license production of a proven design, as their own aircraft industry did not have sufficient development experience with such a large aircraft, or with all-metal airframes and stressed-skin construction, placing an initial order for 74 aircraft. After some delays, both Aero and Avia began license-production in 1937, with a total of about 124 built. Czechoslovakian MB.200s were basically similar to their French counterparts, with differences in defensive armament and other equipment.
According to the general staff the Czech Germans retrieve 67 MB 200, 4 of which are still under construction at Aero at the time of the transfer . The Czech pilot Brtnik is responsible to ensure the assignment to the Germans on the ground . The latest MB 200 numbered 72, 73 and 74 are taken into account by the Luftwaffe in May 1939. They will be used at theBlindflugschule just created and based in Praze-Ruzyn .
As well as serving in the German Luftwaffe, some bombers ( 12 ex-Czech MB.200s) were distributed to Bulgaria.
|| 4 seat bomber used as a transport by the Luftwaffe
||2 Gnome-Rhône 14Kirs
||Length 16,0 m, height 3,9 m, wingspan 22,45 m, wing area 62,5 m2
||Empty 4300 kg, max. take off weight 7480 kg
||Max. speed: 285 km/h, range 1000 km, service ceiling 8000 m, climb 4,33 m/sec.