AGO Ao 225
|| Heavy fighter project
|| 2 Daimler Benz DB 601 or 1 DB 606
|| Length 19,10 m, span 21,05 m
||4 x MG 131 in the nose , 1 MG 151 in a dorsal position
As early as 1937 the Aerowerke Gustav Otlo at Oschersleben participated in the RLM requirement for a heavy Kampfzerstorer with its FP-30 submission. It differed from the other firms' projects in featuring wing- mounted propellers driven remotely from two engines inside the fuselage. Besides AGO, Arado's entry was the ArE561. The point of origin for this project was the multi- seat Ao 192 touring aircraft whose sleek lines and good flying qualities were among the best of its class. The two powerful DB 601 engines coupled nose to nose and located in the wingrool-fuselage junction, were arranged to drive three-bladed airscrews at the extremities of long, slim nacelles in the wings. In another variant of this design, a 24- cylinder DB 606 coupled unit was to have pro- vided the power in place of the DB60ls.
A partial full-size mock-up of the FP-30 (Ao225) was built to study in detail the remote-drive installation for various power- plants. Problems experienced with the design of remote drive mechanisms and angular bevelled gearing as well as strong vibration tendencies ted the AGO designers to consider the use of two separate wing- mounted engines. Because of the complexity of the remote drive system and its difficulty to manufacture, the RLM rejected the proposal on which work was terminated in favour of the Me210 and Ar240. The RLM number 225 was later reassigned to the Focke-Achgelis Fa 225 autogyro, and only a few technical details of the Ao 225 have survived.