The company Ambi-Budd was founded in 1926 by the American Edward G. Budd Manufacturing Co. and the Ambi Maschinenbau AG (Arthur Müller Bauten und Industriewerke) to
make car bodies. Budd transferred the technology of steelbodies that replaced the common wood and sheet covering.
In 1928 the company grow from 800 to 2500 employes and new companies like Ford , BMW and Hanomag became customers. On the site of the former Rumpler-Werke at Berlin-
Johannisthal the company Ambi-Budd was established in the early thirties. From 1936 it produced bodies for the Einheits-Pkw of the Wehrmacht. During WW II main production was
equipment for the Kübelwagen VW 82 and the Schwimmwagen VW 166 and also the so called Wehrmachts-Einheitskanister. After the war the site was in the Soviet zone and the
workshops were dismantled and moved to the Sovietunion. The tools for the BMW 321 went to Eisenach where it continued to be produced for the EMW 321.