Albatros L 78
Type Two seat reconnaissance aircraft
Engine 1 BMW VI 5.5
Dimensions Längd  8,55 m, height 3,74 m, span 12,76 m, wing area 27,80 m2
Weights Empty 1615 kg, flying weight 2440 kg
Performance Max. speed 235 km/h, cruising speed 210 km/h
Armament 1 7,92 mm MG in the front, 1 7,92 mm MG in the rear cockpit
Type Werk.Nr Registration History
u 10121 D-1524, D-IBOL Registered to the Albatros company in Nov. 1928. In July 1930 converted to u with a BMW VI U engine and registered to DVL e. V., Adlershof
  10157 D-1791 In Febr. 1930 to RDL Erprob.-Stelle, Staaken
  92 D-1988 Built by Focke-Wulf. In April 1931 to DVL
  10151 D-2093 Registered to the Albatros company in July 1931. In April 1932 to DVS GmbH
  10152 D-2094 Registered to the Albatros company in July 1931. In April 1932 to DVS GmbH
  10153 D-2098 Registered to the Albatros company in July 1931. In April 1932 to DVS GmbH. Destroyed 16/4 1934
  10154 D-2099 In June 1932 to DVS GmbH
  10188 D-2131 In June 1932 to DVS GmbH
  10189 D-2132 In April 1932 to DVS GmbH
  106 D-2173 Built by Focke-Wulf. In May 1932 to DVS GmbH
  107 D-2174 Built by Focke-Wulf. In May 1932 to DVS GmbH
  10155 D-2467 In April 1933 to DVS GmbH
  10156 D-2487 In May 1933 to DVS GmbH
    D-IJOZ* Modified to u. Used by the FL.Üb.St. Herzogenaurach
* Werk.Nr. unknown
Only 13 L 78 built, 6 plus 1 later sent to Lipetsk, four of these crashed
In 1928 a modernized version of the L.76 reconnaissance aircraft was developed and manufactured at the firm "Albatros Flugzeugwerke". The new aircraft was a fairly large two-seat bi-plane, armed with a 7.9 mm synchronized machine gun and another one in the aft seat. The powerplant of the aircraft consisted of a single BMW VI engine with a power of 600 hp.
Just as in the case of L.76, the main customer was the "secret" flight school in Lipetsk. At the end of 1928, seven L.78 aircraft were produced for Lipetsk .
L.78, arrived in Lipetsk in early 1929, two versions. The first was a classic type of reconnaissance bomber with a separate arrowshaped radiator located in front of the landing gear rails (on the L-76 and L-77 it was located behind the racks).
The second modification was more suited to the type of transport aircraft: the fuselage with a widened cabin, had an increased construction height, windows and a door were installed in its side walls. The machine-gun in the aft seat was removed (a plane of this type was used at the Shikhany training ground for working out the technique of spraying poison gases.) In the capacious fuselage of the "passenger" L-78, it was easier to place tanks with liquefied gas. The company produced six unarmed   aircraft. Almost all of them were transferred to DVS GmbH in 1932.